The French style in the architecture of country houses is inferior to the demand for English, but at all times remains a favorite and in demand. Interior in the style of Provence is a frequent desire for the interior decoration of the house, but how to match its appearance?
We design the facades of country houses and talk about the stylistic features of the architecture of this or that direction. In today's issue - about the characteristics of Provençal style - the style of rustic houses in the southern French province.
Provence - the southern province, there is a lot of heat and sun, because the style is appropriate in places with relatively mild climate: an abundance of windows and the so-called "French" doors are not very good heat retaining, so the thickness of glass should be concerned even at the stage of facade design. And the light in the house should be a lot!
Despite the external simplicity, supporters of the minimalistic high-tech Provence will seem too sentimental, because the nature of his laconism in the archaic, rather than functional things. Therefore the temperament of the owners should coincide with the aura of style: Provence is for those who appreciate naturalness, can see the beauty in everyday life, is not in a hurry and wants to enjoy every day of life.
And of course, the French house is a family nest, the older it is, the nicer and cozier it is. Provence does not tolerate glossy and finish "with a needle", here everything is saturated with tradition, established way of life and peace.
What are the features of the style of Provence?
From the attention to detail. From the general spirit of simplicity and archaic. From the ability to love the present, to preserve what is here and now.
Hence the muted color scheme: faded, as if faded colors, pastel shades - ochre, beige, milk, coffee, terra cotta, lavender, but bright colored accents on the details (among the favorites - blue and yellow, the colors of Provence).
Hence the necessarily natural, but artificially aged materials in the finishing of facades: wood, stone, ceramics, woven fabrics, combined with wrought iron details and plant motifs. They give rise to a carefully preserved and often specially maintained sense of antiquity.
Hence the rough, often unplastered walls with large masonry and wooden beams, simple forms, and laconic facades. Fences are made of rough stones. Wooden shutters on the windows, French doors, tiled roofs and plenty of greenery in the tiny gardens or terraces add to the entourage.
The key idea of the Provence style is simplicity and closeness to nature. Therefore, the feeling of naturalness of the house inside the garden is extremely important. Braided with climbing plants (not necessarily grapes!) Fences, simple flowers in pots on the windows and doors, wicker chairs under flowering trees - all this creates a sense of patriarchal stability of the world. The less rules and ostentatious beauty - the better.
How to apply Provençal style to your cottage?
- Use natural materials in the finishing of facades - bricks, unpolished stone of light colors, perhaps - unplastered surfaces with whitewashing. Rustic, brick and other decorative frames - in the tone of the walls. If the house is old, the restoration should try to preserve the natural wear and tear of the plaster and joints (fragments can be left).
- Minimize the decorative elements on the facades. Focus on window shutters and doorways. Wooden elements in any case should not shine with new paint, but have chips and worm holes, as well as wrought iron parts - traces of noble patina. To create an antique effect, the "craquelure" effect (the illusion of a cracked surface) is good.
- Use in the decor sand or ochre shades, putting bright colored accents on important details.
- Put windows with small wooden sashes, styling doors as heavy wooden ones with cast-iron hinges.
- Arrange the roof of a motley (preferably natural) tiles of heterogeneous color.
- Order forged decorative elements (what they can be, we told here).
- Arrange on the windows of the first floor or at the entrance garden with simple potted plants. For paving areas and paths to use, if possible, also natural stone.
- Use rough stone and climbing plants for fences.
- Order a project of facade decoration with us.